Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Valentine's Day Decor! The Crafts

Every year for the holidays I like to add a few new things. I love making new crafts! This year I was a bit more daring, but a on a budget. This is our first VDAY in our own home so I kind of went crazy. Here are the crafts I made this year and last year. Every thing is super simple and a few items I can use for other holidays. (key to decorating: versatility)

My Front door
Lets Start with the door. I like to decorate the door with a wreath or a sign. It makes it very welcoming. This was a heart shaped wreath. I believe around $6.99 at Michael's and I had a coupon. I bought a cheap spool of red ribbon and hot glued it too the back. Simple yet festive.

I wanted to have a banner on my fireplace but could not find one I really liked and didn't have a whole lot of time. So I got some letters and painted them. I had some old jute (twine) laying around from another project. I had Matt drill the holes and ta da a banner!

A super easy and simple way to add decor is letters. I took the XOXO Valentine's day theme and painted them with some Cream paint. It was fast and inexpensive. Also kid proof :).

This is was one project I will do again for other holidays! I found a vinyl that said "LOVE," so I cut the letters out by themselves. Went to Michael's where they were having a sale and got a box of 16 votive holders for $5! I was sooo excited. Threw in some candles for the finishing touch. You could even use these on a shelf or on a table as a centerpiece.

I was feeling extra crafty when I was at Michael's and saw this frame for $3. I bought it and painted it with the left over XOXO paint. I dug in my scrap box of paper (you never know when you will need it) I found some old Christmas paper but the back was just red with off white dots. While digging I found some scrabble tiles I bought a while ago at a antique store and hot glued them to the paper. Best thing about the craft I will use the frame for other holidays and just store the paper in my holiday box.

I LOVE getting decor as a gift! So last year my mom bought me this "Be Mine," banner. It seems simple to make. Old book pages with a word stamped on them and ribbon. Just had to share this cute idea :)

Last year I made this craft. It was a wood sign that I painted and found a vinyl that said "LOVE," and one of the cupid. I then bought wood hearts and painted them red. Easy and simple.

Every holiday I have a "W" to match the theme. I just paint the letter and modge podge the scrapbook paper to the letter and add some stickers and buttons. To hang I just hot glue a piece of ribbon. My little sister gave me this idea. This whole project could be made under $10.

I had these candles laying around from Christmas. I got them at Ikea for $3 each. I found these candle stick holders at a garage sale and just had them laying in the garage. (eventually I will paint them) While out browsing the craft stores I saw these doilies for $2.99 for 30 of them so I picked those up. When I got home Pinterest (my fav website) showed how some people put them on candles. So I still had some old jute left from the banner and attached it to the candle! Now I have a whole new look.


While hunting for frames at Michael's I saw this wood plaque. With the left over paint from my banner and a vinyl I found a while back. Something easy to store after the holiday or I can keep it up if I liked for everyday.

At Michael's I picked up these foam hearts and stickers. It was a fun rainy day project for the kiddos I nanny for and when they were done I found some left over ribbon and hot glued it to the back. Now I have it for decoration. It is always great to get the kids involved they feel very special when they see it out for everyone to see.

Since this is my first Valentine's Day with a kitchen I wanted some fun decor items on a budget! I got this frame at Michael's and painted it. I found some wood letters and painted them the same color as the frame. Thanks to Pinterest I got this design idea and had some left over paper from another project and whipped this up! I think I will use the frame for other holidays just keep switching it out.

Found this idea on Pinterest! It was way harder then I thought! Thank God I have a super helpful husband who came and rescued me! I had this old frame laying around the garage and some spray paint left over from some furniture. Matt painted it for me. Then you sit and sort through conversation hearts and start hot gluing. Getting the shape of the heart was not easy. (This is not a fast project) After that I stuck white paper in the frame for a simple background. Now I have some art in my kitchen.

With the left over conversation hearts. I found an old white candle laying around and decided to jazz it up! Simple and fun!

These are just a few ideas for you to do during the season of love! Don't spend a lot of money if you don't have it. Just add when you can! Happy Crafting :)

1 comment:

  1. So festive! I love your craft ideas. I can't wait to get settled in our new place so that i can start decorating again!

    ReplyDelete